This page will be used to keep track of the progress of the site overhaul that was mentioned in the "Equivalent Error Explanations; Framework Fusion" post.
- March 16, 4:50 PM: Created this page to track progress of the site overhaul.
- April 2, 1:05 PM: This page is now open for comments. Feel free to post your suggestions, (constructive) criticism, etc. regarding the site overhaul.
- April 2, 1:12 PM: The page titles in the "Menu" section are now in bold for readability. The "Using a "files" folder outside of Drupal" roadblock description has been updated.
- Pages: Hand-coded
- Blog: WordPress
- Guestbook: Guest Gear (part of HTMLGear, externally hosted by Tripod)
- Drupal (version 6) will be used to manage all of the separate sections under one CMS
- Sections like the "Characters" pages, guestbook, etc. will have their own content types
- All files not required for the site to run (in this case, everything except Drupal and anything which must stay in the root directory) will be moved under a central "files" directory, subdivided by basic type ("Images", "Documents", etc.), then by a more specific type ("Pictures", "Photos", "Templates", etc.) and finally by which section of the site they are for (if a section of the site has enough of a certain type, such as "Characters")
- Will make the pages easier to maintain, as they will all use the same backend
- Will make site maintenance easier, as only a few files and folders will be in the root directory (CMS, site files, site icon, etc.) instead of having everything spread across many folders
- Will avoid the loss of guestbook signatures, since the current guestbook is not hosted on my site
- My pages, blog and guestbook all use slightly different versions of the same theme, due to their different frameworks; only their color schemes are the same
- The prototype template will be rebuilt to fit Drupal's framework, as well as take advantage of its theming system
- Since all of my content will be using the same framework (rather than three different ones), they will all be able to use just one version of the same theme; this will greatly simplify management (and troubleshooting when necessary), as well as make sure there is a consistent theme across the site
- Home / Blog
- About Me
- Contact Me
- Funny Screenshots
Likely to be Dropped
- About Me: Was based on my "Characters" template, and some information is out of date; it will either be reduced to a few important fields (name, age, etc.) or removed entirely
- FAQ: The questions listed are not "frequently asked"; it will be removed for the time being, until I get questions that are asked frequently enough to justify restoring it
Will be Dropped
- Funny Screenshots: I have lost interest in creating them; I will hand over the rights to my own funny screenshots should anyone want to use them
- Miscellaneous: I have lost interest in creating fanfics, parody songs, etc.; the Bomberman 64 cursors and "The Adventures of Ragnarok and Excalibur" will be moved to other parts of the site - "Wolfey's Workshop" for the former (they can still be useful), and the "Characters" page for the latter (as it has historical significance in regard to the site)
- Site Counter: I have lost interest in keeping track of how many visitors I have; I would much rather read messages, blog comments or guestbook signings from my visitors than see how many have visited
- Tagboard: Has been overrun by spammers, and is no longer worth maintaining
- Whiteboard: Has had (relatively) low usage, and I have lost interest in moderating what is posted
- The Logical Lupus
- Wolfey's Workshop
- Contact Form
- (Main): The unified update system, combining "Home" and "Blog" into one
- The Logical Lupus: Aka "Wolfey", my new SONA; he will take the place of Ragnarok, my previous SONA, and also be cross-listed under "Characters"
- Wolfey's Workshop: Supersedes the "Miscellaneous" page; will list templates, guides, etc. - anything which can be of use to people
- Images: The "Pictures" and "Photos" sections, combined into one to simplify management
- Contact Me: Will contain the current methods of contact (excluding those that I no longer use), but will now also have a contact form in the event you can't contact me by any of the methods listed on that page
- Links: New ones will be added, broken/no-longer-interesting ones will be deleted, and redirected/renamed ones will be updated; the links in my blog's sidebar will be moved to (and merged with) that page
- Using a "files" folder outside of Drupal: This can be done, but Drupal requires the path to be preceded with "/..", which (slightly) bloats link length and causes issues with Internet Explorer 6; currently wondering if it is possible to do this without requiring "/.." at the beginning of the path
 No Comments
0 Comments »
No comments yet.