(This was originally part of the previous entry, but I decided to split it off into its own post.)
Awhile back, I realized that my blog displayed only a basic "Error 404 / File Not Found" error for its pages. I finally got around to fixing it up to display the same information that my current "Error 404 / File Not Found" page has - for those visiting the blog section of my site, that means you can now see the address being looked for, the referring address, notes on what you can do to find what you're looking for, and links back to the previous page, blog and site =)
That covers the "update" part - now for the "important" part: I'm looking to combine the separate pieces of my site (a WordPress blog, Tripod-hosted guestbook and hand-coded pages) into one unified piece with the help of a multipurpose CMS - in this case, Drupal. I've been using it at my job for the rebuilding of their site - so I know what it's capable of - and it would be perfect for use with my site. I'll also finally take advantage of the prototype template I mentioned about a long time ago, which will be reconfigured to take advantage of Drupal's theming system.
One thing that could be a problem is that I've heard about issues regarding using Drupal on a Dreamhost-hosted site, and I'm wondering if that may cause problems here, especially since I'm neither the owner of this domain nor (more importantly) this webspace and don't want to cause problems because of that. However, those issues may be regarding high-traffic, multiple-user sites, and my site is neither (definitely not the latter and I doubt the former ;P). Version 6 will be used in this case - I could've started out with 5, but I want to take advantage of 6's improved caching, which may be crucial given what I mentioned at the beginning of this paragraph. I'll put it on the site to see how well it holds up and, if it does OK, I'll get to work on doing what I should've started a long time ago:
Working on the (badly-needed) massive overhaul of my site! ;)
I'm not dead yet - just busy, as usual =P I'll have a regular blog post ready sometime later this month.
Anyway, you might have noticed the blog looks different from what it was before - in fact, it bears a striking resemblance to my main site. That's because I finally got off my butt and worked on fixing it up =)
Here's what I did:
- Backed up all files and database information regarding WordPress.
- Created a fresh installation of WordPress locally, using XAMPP.
- Compared the database fields between the fresh installation and the one I had on my site.
- Dropped all of the tables in the fresh installation's database and imported the contents of my site's in its place; any field not originally present in the fresh installation was excluded.
- Replaced a few links pointing to my site and blog in the database to point to the local copy of them instead; otherwise, entries would not show up or I would be redirected to my site's blog when viewing the administration pages.
- Took a look at the local copy to ensure that everything was working properly.
- Erased all WordPress files on my site and dropped all of its tables from my database.
- Uploaded the WordPress files and imported the database information from my local copy, changing the site links in #5 back to what they originally were.
- Downloaded a theme (Barecity) to replace the one I originally had (Steam), and tweaked it to match the layout of my site; I kept the font used earlier on my blog.
- Reinstalled most of my plugins; I am no longer using a few of them, and one (Filosofo Comments Preview, which provided the "Preview" button) is giving a fatal error when trying to activate it.
Aside from that one plugin, everything is working again (even Spam Karma!), and its layout matches up with the rest of my site now, which is very nice =D
Also, to help protect against spam, old blog entries will have comments closed. This includes any entry which has been around for over one year without comments, or one month from the last posted comment (provided the entry is already a year old; otherwise it will remain open until the later of the two dates). Should you have the need to comment on one of those entries, feel free to let me know and I'll reopen comments on it for one month from the last posted comment after the entry was reopened.
For those of you reading this, I have a few questions:
- Regarding "Filsofo Comments Preview", if anyone reading my blog uses it:
- Did you get a fatal error when trying to activate it?
- If so, is there a way to fix this - or something I should check - so I can get it working again?
- Regarding the "Creative Commons" license in the footer: This might be a stupid question, but does that cover everything on my site, everything in my blog, or just the blog template? I'm not sure if this is something I should worry about resolving, or if I just misinterpreted it and am worrying about nothing...
That's all I can think of for this entry - just wanted to let all of you know I'm still here =P
...Because I think my hard drive has crashed, and it's unlikely I can recover anything from it. This would be the third time I've lost practically everything on my computer =(
I came up with the idea for this post a few hours after New Year's Day begun (before I went to bed), and have been working on it whenever I had the chance, until it was ready to be published. I'm considering this part of a New Year's Resolution I've made - Some of these things have been bothering me for a long time, and I felt it'd be best to post them here, and finally get a few things off my chest. In my personal opinion, I personally feel that the revealing of these things will be one of the most important things I've done in my life, given the nature of what I'm about to disclose.
(Note: What I'm about to say about the people mentioned here does not mean I hate any of them...On the contrary, actually, I like them - I just hate some of the things they did - or continue to do, intentionally or not - and I want to say them here.)
Do you want to know what these confessions/revelations are? Then read on - These are in no particular order, by the way:
(NOTE: This is the first real blog entry that I have written/typed here. All entries prior to this one were originally part of my old site update list; they have now been merged with the rest of this blog [and are filed under the Pre-Weblog category] so that I can keep the history of my site intact...As well as making it easier to look through ^_~)
I've just got a blog set up here...And I'm new to this, of course, so give me time to learn it all =P
To be honest, I've been planning to set one up for quite awhile - Using a text editor to manually add the actual information (and code for proper display) for site updates, as well as any important events in my life, to HTML files (PHP will be used instead, once the template's ready - Overall, that will be much easier to manage) is not an easy thing to do, especially when you have to move entries around a lot (and also when you change your layout, requiring you to update all your pages with new code for it)...
...A blog (that will double as my site's update list) will take care of that problem - I'll actually be writing often now. Well, often in comparison to how much I usually write ^_~