» Part of Wolfey's Website

The Election is Over!

May 21, 2005 at 8:21 PM

The election—and my work at the courthouse—are both over for now.

  • Monday: I finished putting the laminated slips of paper for ballot stands in little envelopes, and put all of those in a box. After that, I copied a few more sample ballots. Then, I put new (and old) voter registration cards in mechanical card holder - its rows can be moved with a few buttons on the front of it. After that, I was handed a list of people with the same first name and birthdate (because they may have had duplicate cards), and pulled out the cards corresponding to those people (a lot seem to be missing, although they could have already been taken out earlier as well).

    I also found one with dates that I know are flat-out wrong...Aside from the fact that I saw that exact same full name elsewhere, and, given how few people I know of with just that last name in this area, I feel that this person is likely to be the mother (or possibly an older relative) of a certain girl I know from Kittanning Senior High School (I gave away the last name here, didn't I? =P). Anyway...The birthdate was listed as being in 1992, which would make this person under 18 till 2010...But that can't be right, as this person is at least a generation older than I am. And if you thought that was wrong, the year listed as when she started residing in the county was 1990 - two years before her birth! Pretty interesting mistakes to find on a voter registration card, eh? ;)

    I also found out today that tomorrow would be my last official day of work, so between Wednesday and the time their website administrator takes maternity leave, I'll (probably) be unemployed.

  • Tuesday: During the day, I continued to pull cards for people with the same first name and birthdate, and did that for the rest of the day. At night, shortly before I had to head out, I ended up getting a nosebleed all of a sudden (I rarely get them, and can recall only one other time it happened, but I don't recall when), but thankfully, it stopped bleeding before I had to go...And I checked up on it constantly during the night. I spent the whole night keeping the site updated with each candidates' numbers of votes as they came in, and stayed till a little after midnight. Unfortunately, I didn't get the results for the individual municipalities finished (as the results kept changing as new precincts reported in, and there were a lot of people to keep track of on that list), and I'd have to come back tomorrow to finish those municipalities, as well as double-check all of the results.
  • Wednesday: I went and added the results for the individual muncipalities (from a cumulative list that was much easier to look through than the separate lists I got for each precinct), as well as adding percents to the list (which the commissioners wanted on the page). After getting those finished, I double-checked all of the results, uploaded the pages to the site, and left to go home, saying good-bye to everyone there, and hoping that I can come to work again for them soon.

On Friday, I went with Mom to get a card for my boss, and one for my co-workers. On the way there, she showed me an artificial leg that was hanging atop a telephone poll, and it's been there for years - I've seen a shoe hanging by its laces on a telephone wire, and even a big chunk of wood from a tree hanging on a wire, but never an artificial leg, on the poll for that matter! And another somewhat unusual sight: I saw four vehicles at a gas station...All four were the same red color! Unusual, isn't it? We got the cards, I went in and gave them to my boss (who gave the other card to my co-workers), and then went to find out when I could come back for work. When I did, though, I was told that it's still being worked out at this point, but I will be notified of when I can come back once everything is worked out. After that, I left to go home.

Now, I'm working on this year's Vacation Bible School script, and a slideshow with military pictures to be shown on Memorial Day (there's calls going back and forth regarding this, and I have to put up with hearing my parents argue about it as well). Mom thought we wouldn't even get 50 pictures...And we we ended up getting a total of 118! Of course, some were received a week past the deadline stated in our church bulletin (which was done so that we wouldn't have to rush to finish this project - Oh well...).

After these two things are done, I'm through with doing VBS scripts and church slideshows. Doing these takes up a lot of my time, I don't appreciate hearing the fighting that goes on when doing work on them (especially given how much work is put on my family to help out), and other members of the church have the equipment to do it themselves now (the DVD slideshow program wasn't even mine to begin with, and another member of the church recently did a slideshow that was shown during the funeral of someone well-liked at our church). It's no wonder I don't want to do that much anymore - It's because I'm stuck doing everyone else's work instead.

I can't wait till this work is done. Thankfully, in the next few weeks, I won't have to do some of these things anymore - maybe I'll want to start doing other things again, especially those that I've put off for awhile because of the work mentioned above. I'll just have to wait until that time comes...


No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Comments are closed for this entry.

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License. | Wolfey's Weblog