» Part of Wolfey's Website

Auntysitting and Address-Importing

February 4, 2005 at 10:40 PM

Today was somewhat busy:

I went over to Granny's to watch over Aunt Bonnie (who is still recovering from her surgery - she said it was babysitting, though I thought auntysitting fit better =P), while the rest of the family went to Aunt Millie's funeral. We talked for awhile, then watched TV, and I read one of my Discover magazines when she fell asleep.

Aunt Ronda and Uncle Guy were the first to come back. As soon as he walked in the door, Uncle Guy shouted out something rather off-color before realizing I was in the room - It was still pretty funny, though (because it was for Aunt Bonnie, and he didn't realize I was there when he said it). As soon as Granny, Pappy, and Mom got back, we went ahead and ordered pizza for lunch, and ate while watching a recent (taped) episode of "American Idol" that Aunt Ronda brought over (I really could care less about it, but since there wasn't anything else on TV at the time...). Some of them were pretty good, some weren't so good (I couldn't really tell in this case), and some were just laughable =P

I left later on to go to Larry's, and get the Microsoft Office application suite installed on his desktop computer, so he could get his work done (I would've put on OpenOffice 1.1.4, but there were some things he needed to do that OpenOffice couldn't handle at this time, so I had to install Microsoft Office instead). While doing that, I also typed up instructions for both Janet and Larry on how to select the printer you want to print from, depending on which computer you're using, and which computer the printer's currently plugged into (the printer used a USB connection, and it can only be connected to one of the two computers at any time), so they could take care of anything they would be printing in the future.

After taking care of both of those issues (and while Office was being installed, Larry handed me a check for all the work I had done for him lately - it was for $100 =) ), I tried one last time to get his address book transferred over properly from Outlook Express into Thunderbird (which I've got him using now [with Firefox for browsing] - the address book was the only thing I couldn't transfer over on my previous trips). Most of the methods I tried (including downloading conversion programs and exporting the address book to various formats) had failed, and both Larry and Janet had left by this time. After searching around a bit more, I tried one more thing:

  1. Downloaded and installed Netscape 4.8.
  2. Opened Messenger (the E-Mail application in Netscape) and imported Larry's address book from Outlook Express.
  3. Noticed that the imported addresses, and especially the folder structure, were both kept intact, which was a very good thing here - previously, the folder structure had always been destroyed (with all the addresses put in the top-level book) when importing the address books into any other program (except for, not surprisingly, Outlook and Outlook Express).
  4. Exported the recently-imported address book as an LDIF file.
  5. Opened Thunderbird and imported the recently-exported LDIF file.
  6. Noticed that the imported addresses and folder structure were kept intact.
  7. Breathed a sigh of relief, knowing that I finally managed to get all of his addresses imported properly into Thunderbird.

To import mail from Outlook Express into an E-Mail client of the future, I had to call upon the help of an E-Mail client (er, application suite =P) of the past...Strange, isn't it? ^_~

After I completed that, I got my stuff ready to take home (as well as picking up my anti-static wrist strap, which I left behind by accident after getting the new RAM installed in his computer), left a note for Larry that mentioned that I finally got his address book imported (as well as that I took back my wrist strap), called Mom, and waited for her to pick me up to take me home.

Dad's up at his friend's camp for the weekend, so Mom's going to be the only other person around here...And since I finished everything that Larry wanted me to do on his two computers, I'll have the weekend (mostly) to myself this time around =)


No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Comments are closed for this entry.

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License. | Wolfey's Weblog